Thursday, December 18, 2008

Making Lyme-ade


Take lemons and make lemonade, right? Well, I'm taking Lyme and making Lyme-ade.

OK, I know that was really funny, so you can take a moment to catch your breath. Ready? No? OK, another minute... Now you're OK? Good.

Anyway. Recently I heard that one of my friends believed that I was unhappy. I was flabbergasted. Unhappy? Me? Really?

Which made me realize...I am happy. Seriously.

Are there things in my life I'd like to be different? Of course! I'd love to wake up tomorrow and spend the day sea kayaking in the islands instead of sluggishly plodding around the house. I wish I could spend my money on manicures instead of medications.

But there's always something you want to change, isn't there? The key is to find joy in what is, while working your way towards what you want.

This is not to say that I'm a little ray of sunshine. There are times when I get upset. I whine and fuss and curse my disease and my medications and my predicament. As I've often said, I think I'm having a reasonable reaction to an unreasonable situation.

Still, if I look at my life as a whole, I spend more time laughing than cursing. And I'm working towards wellness. Will I be happier when I'm well? I don't know. I'll be more comfortable. But happier? Hard to say. I think I'm pretty happy right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment