Thursday, August 6, 2009

Growing stuff makes me happy

Here's a positive post to balance out the previous ranting against the internet.

Today I got a call from the Seattle P-Patch Garden program. There are a couple of spots open in Greg's Garden in Ballard, and I'm at the top of the list! The wait list is usually 2 - 3 years, but I only had to wait about a year and a half. In the mean time, I've been practicing my veggie gardening in containers. (Tomatoes, peppers, and lettuce this summer.)

So now I need to meet with the site coordinator and figure out which plot is mine, get access to the tool shed, etc. And then I need to determine what I can do this time of year. It's a little late in the season, and I'm not feeling very well at the moment. Still, if nothing else, I can get the soil prepped and sow a cover crop for the winter or some such thing.

I just ordered a copy of Seattle Tilth's Maritime Northwest Garden Guide, which should be a very helpful guide for this novice. I'm all a flutter, thinking about seed catalogues and what I want to grow next year. I know I want to plant raspberries, strawberries, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, and Brussels sprouts.

Anyway, I'm very excited. It's one more reason to get well! I can't wait to play in the dirt!

1 comment: