Sunday, September 27, 2009

Sweetness and irony

First, the sweetness.

This morning marks the beginning of My Big Birthday Weekend, which lasts until Tuesday (my actual birthday). On Tuesday, I'm getting my PICC placed and will receive my first dose of Rocephin, so the fun is really happening Saturday - Monday.

Anyway, this morning we went out to breakfast/lunch/brunch/whatever at The Wayward Vegan Cafe, which is my second home in Seattle. Pretty much everything about them is awesome. Like that they serve the most amazing cinnamon rolls on the weekends. Today the cinnamon rolls were even more amazing. It appears that Nick called ahead and arranged BIRTHDAY CINNAMON ROLLS.

I was sitting at our table, reading The Stranger, when the entire staff came out with a huge plate of cinnamon rolls (with birthday candles!), singing "Happy Birthday" loudly. Delight and embarrassment fought for a moment, but delight won the day.




 


All in all? Pretty frickin' awesome. The Wayward is the bestest. If you're in Seattle, you must visit. And if you're there on Friday or Saturday (and sometimes Sunday) morning, you'll probably see me there.

Now, the irony. Tonight at midnight there was a screening of Paranormal Activity at a theater in town. Only at midnight, which is way past my bedtime. But it's supposed to be this great horror movie, and it's not playing after tonight. (They're test-marketing it and/or building hype in a few cities, I guess. It'll probably come back in a wider release.) So you see my dilemma. Sleep? Or totally cool horror movie?

In the end, I was "responsible" and decided that going out late and not getting proper sleep would do me no favors. So we stayed home and went to bed.

Except I can't sleep. The Vicodin and gabapentin and clonazapam are just not doing it for me tonight. I took some more Vicodin, but still no relief. I got out of bed and did some yoga stretches. Nothing.

So now it's 2:30 in the morning, which is when we'd probably be getting to bed if we'd gone to see the movie. I'm still awake, and I've got no movie.

Irony, how you mock me!

And in completely unrelated news, I discovered that my broccoli has club root, which means my entire garden plot has the fungus in the soil. Which means that all brassicas and many root veggies will not be happy. And what have I planted? Broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts, chard, kale, and carrots. (My lettuce and spinach and radishes will be just fine.) So now I've got garden problems to solve.

Or ignore, as the case may be, once my PICC goes in. Just doing a winter cover crop is sounding pretty good right about now.

No comments:

Post a Comment