Wednesday, November 5, 2008

It's still real

I was kind of afraid that maybe the victory was a giant sham, pumped into West Coast televisions to prevent riots. But no, it's real. It's really really real!!!

Because I ended up in Georgetown, I missed the thousands of people marching and dancing and celebrating in the streets (in the University district, in Capitol Hill, in Belltown) last night, but I found pictures:







I'm thrilled that Obama won, and I LOVE MY CITY! The riot police stood around and watched...one officer described it as a "big hug fest."

So despite the disgusting success of Prop. 8 in California (banning same-sex marriage), I'm filled with hope and love and joy.

I might not have had the energy to keep up with the revelers who were still going at 2:30 AM last night, but for now, I'll get up and dance around the room.



Some more thoughts:

1) McCain's concession speech was classy and made me remember why I used to like the man, before he became Campaign McCain and turned nasty. Now that the campaign is over, he can be the senator I remember. His speech brought forth cheers and applause (sincere, at that) from a crowded bar of liberal hipsters in godless Seattle. (Well, except when he mentioned Palin.)

2) Obama's speech made me cry. Not easy to do. "It's the answer spoken by young and old, rich and poor, Democrat and Republican, black, white, Latino, Asian, Native American, gay, straight, disabled and not disabled - Americans who sent a message to the world that we have never been a collection of Red States and Blue States: we are, and always will be, the United States of America."

You should have heard the cheering in the bar when he said not only "black, white," but went on to include other ethnic minorities. And then "gay"--the crowd thundered so much that I would have missed "disabled and not disabled" but for the captioning. And, yeah, it made me cry.

3) Cutest thing ever? ""Sasha and Malia, I love you both so much, and you have earned the new puppy that's coming with us to the White House."

4) OMG IT'S REAL:

No comments:

Post a Comment