Saturday, November 15, 2008

Just another outspoken queer, vegan, feminist for equal rights


Despite a horrible headache and crushing exhaustion, I managed to drag my sorry self out to the Seattle marriage equality rally and march today. Nick and I were two of the approximately 6,000 Seattlites who joined hundreds of thousands of people worldwide who spoke out for the right to marry. (While Seattle police put the initial count at 6,000, I'd guess that we had something like 10K or more people out there once the march made it to downtown.)

The rally begain in Volunteer Park, and then everyone headed down to Broadway, then over to downtown on Pine. We ended up in Westlake Center, and the crowds were so large that the police had to close off surrounding streets. All along the path, there were supporters cheering from the sidewalks, business doorways, and apartment balconies.

It was a beautiful outpouring of support, and I'm really glad I made it to the event. I might pay for it tomorrow, but it was worth it.













1 comment:

  1. Yeah! Thanks for being there! Thanks for posting about it!

    ...and thanks for reminding me that, even though millions of people voted to ban gay marriage, millions more are fighting for it.

    Hugs from Morocco!

    ReplyDelete